STEP 1 - Pick your priorities (table on p64)
Match each column (Metatype, Attributes, Skills, Magic, Resources) to a priority (A through E). A is most important, E is least. For each priority you get the value of the column you selected for that priority. For example picking Resources for Priority C gives you 150,000 nuyen.
|PRIORITY||METATYPE||ATTRIBUTES||SKILLS||MAGIC OR RESONANCE||RESOURCES|
|A||Dwarf, Ork, Troll (13) 24 32||24||32||Full: 4 Magic, Aspected: 5 Magic, Mystic Adept:4 Magic, Adept: 4 Magic, Technomancer: 4 Resonance||450,000|
|B||Dwarf, Elf, Ork, Troll (11) 16 24||16||24||Full: 3 Magic, Aspected: 4 Magic, Mystic Adept: 3 Magic, Adept: 3 Magic, Technomancer: 3 Resonance||275,000|
|C||Dwarf, Elf, Human, Ork,||12||20||Full: 2 Magic, Aspected: 3 Magic, Mystic Adept: 2 Magic, Adept: 2 Magic, Technomancer: 2 Resonance||150,000|
|D||Dwarf, Elf, Human, Ork, Troll (4)||8||16||Full: 1 Magic, Aspected: 2 Magic, Mystic Adept: 1 Magic, Adept: 1 Magic, Technomancer: 1 Resonance||50,000|
|E||Dwarf, Elf, Human, Ork, Troll (1)||2||10||Mundane||8,000|
STEP 2 - Pick metatype, and assign adjustment points
Pick a metatype then spend the adjustemnt points (in the brackets to the right of the metatypes in the chart) on a 1 for 1 upgrade of Edge, Magic or Resonance, or to increase a stat above 6, within the allowable range for your metatype.
|Dwarf||1-7||1-6||1-5||1-8||1-7||1-6||1-6||1-6||1-6||Toxin Resistance, Thermographic Vision|
|Ork||1-8||1-6||1-6||1-8||1-6||1-6||1-6||1-5||1-6||Low-light Vision, Built Tough 1|
|Troll||1-9||1-5||1-6||1-9||1-6||1-6||1-6||1-5||1-6||Dermal Deposits, Thermographic Vision, Built Tough 2|
STEP 3 - Select Attributes
On a 1 for 1 basis spend the attribute points for your attribute priority. Attributes must be witin the range for your metatype. You can use adjustment points from step 2 to to increase attributes above 6 if your metatype allows it.
STEP 4 - Assign skills
On a one for one basis, spend your priority's worth of points on skills. You can only increase a skill to rank 6 to begin with (unless you take the Aptitude quality later). You can also pick a single cpecialization within a skill for one point. Skills are on p92:
- Astral - Trained only - Intuition - Full or aspected magician, or adept and mystic adpet with Astral Perception. For Astral combat and sensing auras
- Athletics - Untrained - Agility - All sorts of athletic business (swimming, climbing, jumping etc)
- Biotech - Trained only - Logic - Mostly healing, but also if you get into the business of installing cyberware
- Close Combat - Untrained - Agility - Stabbing stuff
- Con - Untrained - Charisma - Lying, disguising, impersonating
- Conjuring - Trained only - Magic - Summoning, binding and dismissing spirits
- Cracking - Trained only - Logic - Illegally breaking into systems
- Electronics - Untrained - Logic - Legally using systems, fixing gadgets
- Enchanting - Trained only - Magic - Making fetishes and foci
- Engineering - Untrained - Logic - Picking locks, firing mounted guns, mechanics
- Exotic Weapons - Trained only - Agility - Take a specialisation in this to use a single exotic weapon
- Firearms - Untrained - Agility - Shooting all types of guns
- Influence - Untrained - Charisma - Shape opinions of other, negotiation, intimidation, leadership
- Outdoors - Untrained - Intuition - Survival, tracking
- Perception - Untrained - Intuition - Noticing things
- Piloting - Untrained - Reaction - Driving things
- Sorcery - Trained only - Magic - Casting spells and counterspelling
- Stealth - Untrained - Agility - Sneaking and disguise
- Tasking - Trained only - Resonance - For technomancers only. Used for most things technomancery
STEP 5 - Pick Magic/Resonance
Pick what type of magic user you want to be and write down the magic (or resonance) stat for that type. You can increase the magic (or resonance) stats with adjustment points from step 2.
STEP 6 - Resources
Note down how many resources you have to buy stuff. You can convert left over karma to resources later.
STEP 7 - Select qualities
p70 defines these. There are lots! Positive ones cost karma, negative ones give karma.
STEP 8 - Spend karma
You have 50 karma to level up your character. Don't forget to add/deduct karma for the qualities you picked in step 7.
|Active skills||5 x new rank|
|Attributes||5 x new rank|
|Spell||5 per spell|
|Complex form||5 per form|
|Initiation||10 + initiate grade|
|Submersion||10 + submersion level|
STEP 9 - Buy gear
Spend your nuyen on some gear. Leftover karma is converted to nuyen at 1 karma to 2,000 nuyen (or 5,000 if you pick the In Debt negative quality). Gear is on page 244.